Fontana Hit & Run Lawyer
Have You Been The Victim Of A Hit And Run?
While being injured in a car collision is never a positive experience, being the victim of a hit-and-run driver can be especially aggravating. Aside from the basic failure of every hit-and-run driver to be a decent person, they take advantage of injured parties in other ways. And this is true whether the victims are motorists, pedestrians, bicyclists, or motorcyclists.
Many injured parties need immediate medical care. Failure of hit-and-run drivers to provide or summon immediate care means that parties that could survive may not survive. Futhermore, injuries which may be fairly minor can become critical.
If left without help, parties hurt or left unconscious because of traffic accidents can be subjected to further dangers. The victim is vulnerable to approaching cars, exposure to weather, excessive blood loss, or a leaking gas tank. Further, victims might be elderly, or may include babies and toddlers, or individuals with pre-existing disabilities that require special attention.
Why Do Motorists Leave The Scene Of A Car Crash?
There are a number of reasons motorists take off after a collision in the Fontana area:
- Some motorists may be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and they are afraid of a DUI charge.
- They may also be afraid of being charged with other auto criminal offenses associated with causing injury or fatality while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Some motorists might be so inebriated that they do not even realize that they have caused a crash, and drive off unaware of the havoc or devastation they are causing.
- Other motorists may leave because they are driving without a license, driving without registration, or driving without insurance.
- Some might be driving a stolen car, or they might be wanted by the police for another offense, like an outstanding warrant.
- Others are just fearful about what they have done, and are afraid to face the repercussions.
What Do I Do After A Hit-And-Run Collision?
- Llame al 911 y haga un informe policial
- Take photos of your vehicle as well as of the scene of the crash, and try to find evidence to assist authorities
- Note witness info from anybody at the scene that witnessed what happened
- Seek medical attention if needed, and do not decline an ambulance ride if injured
- Get in touch with a Fontana hit-and-run attorney for your accident, and do this before you contact your car insurance provider
Pursuing Compensation For Your Damages
Getting involved in an automobile accident is stressful, but a hit and run car collision can leave an individual feeling even more stressed out. You have to be able to find the person that hit you in order to sue them. However, with a good hit-and-run attorney you can seek an uninsured motorist claim against your own insurance company. In this kind of claim, your auto carrier steps into the shoes of the hit and run driver and pays on the claim.
When it comes to getting compensation for your damages, you can recover damages in two types: economic and non-economic.
Economic damages cover financial expenditures related to your case, like medical bills (such as an ambulance ride, doctor's appointments, hospital visits, surgery expenses, mental and physical therapy, and visits to specialists). Economic damages additionally include any income you might have lost and will continue to lose while you're recovering from your injury due to missed work.
Non-economic damages refer to damages that don't have a particular monetary value linked to them but still "cost" the victim something. This includes compensation for pain and suffering, loss of earning capacity, loss of consortium, and compensation for long-term disability or disfigurement.
Punitive damages could come into play if the liable party is located. This is a third category of damages that are awarded as a way to penalize the at-fault driver for being grossly negligent. While these damages are really uncommon in a car collision case, they are provided to stop the at-fault driver from doing the same act again in the future. Punitive damages are typically awarded in situations in which a person was grossly negligent, like causing a collision because they were very drunk. Again, punitive damages are extremely uncommon in motor vehicle accident cases and are generally reserved for defective drug cases or product liability cases.
Legal Assistance For Hit-And-Run Victims
It is bad enough to be a victim of a reckless and careless driver; do not let yourself become a victim again. It is essential that you get legal assistance as soon as possible after a hit-and-run collision. Over time, crucial evidence can be lost or destroyed. Witnesses may forget vital information, or you may not be able to find them. Furthermore, there are sometimes insurance coverage notification deadlines to meet.
A Fontana hit-and-run accident attorney at First Law Group can help you to obtain the compensation to which you are entitled, whether that means going after an at-fault party or your own insurance company. We know what your rights are with respect to the law and your own insurer.
At First Law Group, we really care about our community and we are driven by our passion for clients. Our personal injury lawyers in Fontana, California are always available to take your call. For a Free Consultation, call us at (626) 888-8264, or visit our website: FirstLG.com