Ontario Hit & Run Accident Lawyer
Have You Been The Victim Of A Hit And Run?
While being hurt in a car collision is never a positive experience, being the victim of a hit-and-run driver can be especially frustrating. Apart from the basic failure of every hit-and-run driver to be a decent human being, they take advantage of injured parties in other ways. And this is true whether the victims are drivers, pedestrians, bicyclists, or motorcyclists.
A lot of victims require immediate medical care. Failure of hit-and-run drivers to provide or call in immediate care means that people that could survive may not survive. Furthermore, injuries which may be fairly small can end up being critical.
If left without help, individuals hurt or left unconscious because of traffic accidents can be subjected to additional hazards. The victim is vulnerable to oncoming vehicles, exposure to weather, excessive blood loss, or a leaking gas tank. Furthermore, victims may be elderly, or might include babies and toddlers, or individuals with pre-existing disabilities who require special attention.
Why Do Drivers Leave The Scene Of A Car Accident?
There are a variety of reasons motorists flee after a collision in the Ontario area:
- Some drivers may be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and they are afraid of a DUI charge.
- They might also fear being charged with other vehicle crimes associated with causing injury or fatality while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Some motorists may be so inebriated that they do not even realize that they have caused a collision, and drive off unaware of the havoc or destruction they are causing.
- Other drivers may take off because they are driving without a license, driving without registration, or driving without insurance.
- Some might be driving a stolen vehicle, or they may be wanted by the police for another offense, like an outstanding warrant.
- Others are simply scared about what they have done, and are afraid to face the repercussions.
What Do I Do After A Hit-And-Run Accident?
- Llame al 911 y haga un informe policial
- Take photos of your vehicle as well as of the scene of the crash, and look for evidence to help police
- Note witness info from anyone at the scene that saw what happened
- Get medical attention if needed, and do not decline an ambulance ride if hurt
- Call an Ontario hit-and-run lawyer for your accident, and do this before you contact your auto insurance provider
Getting Compensation For Your Damages
Getting into a car accident is upsetting, but a hit and run car accident can leave an individual feeling even more stressed out. You have to be able to locate the person who hit you in order to sue them. However, with a good hit-and-run lawyer you can seek an uninsured motorist claim against your own insurance provider. In this type of claim, your auto carrier steps into the shoes of the hit and run motorist and pays on the claim.
When it comes to getting compensation for your damages, you can recover damages in two categories: economic and non-economic.
Economic damages cover monetary expenditures associated with your case, like medical costs (such as an ambulance ride, doctor's appointments, hospital visits, surgery expenses, mental and physical therapy, and visits to specialists). Economic damages also include any wages you might have lost and will continue to lose while you're recovering from your injury because of missed work.
Non-economic damages refer to damages that do not have a particular monetary value associated with them but still "cost" the victim something. This includes compensation for pain and suffering, loss of earning ability, loss of consortium, and compensation for long-term disability or disfigurement.
Punitive damages could come into play if the responsible party is located. This is a third category of damages that are awarded as a way to punish the at-fault party for being grossly negligent. While these damages are really uncommon in a car crash case, they are handed out to prevent the at-fault driver from doing the same act again in the future. Punitive damages are normally awarded in scenarios in which an individual was grossly negligent, like causing an accident because they were really drunk. Once again, punitive damages are incredibly uncommon in car accident cases and are generally reserved for defective drug cases or product liability cases.
Legal Assistance For Hit-And-Run Victims
It is bad enough to be a victim of a reckless and careless driver; do not let yourself become a victim again. It is vital that you seek legal guidance as soon as possible after a hit-and-run collision. With time, vital evidence can be lost or ruined. Witnesses might fail to remember crucial information, or you might not be able to find them. Further, there are sometimes insurance policy notice deadlines to meet.
An Ontario hit-and-run accident lawyer at First Law Group can help you to receive the recovery to which you are entitled, whether that means pursuing an at-fault party or your own insurance company. We know what your rights are with respect to the law and your own insurance provider.
At First Law Group, we really care about our community and we are driven by our passion for clients. Our personal injury lawyers in Ontario, California are always available to take your call. For a Free Consultation, call us at (626) 888-8264, or visit our website: FirstLG.com