Fontana Wrongful Death Lawyer
Has A Loved One Suffered A Wrongful Death In Fontana?
Some of the injury claims our law firm takes on involve a death caused by a negligent party. If a person has passed away in an accident, the family of the deceased is likely entitled to compensation for their tragic loss. You will need the help of a knowledgeable Fontana wrongful death attorney. The attorneys at First Law Group fight for accident and injury victims and their families every day. They may be able to help you get compensation for your loss.
A wrongful death is where the negligence or carelessness of a person or company are responsible for a fatality. The law in California recognizes that when someone's actions cost another his or her life, the responsible person needs to be legally liable to pay damages to the victim's loved ones. This means that when a family member dies in an accident, the surviving family members may be entitled to bring a civil case against those responsible for the accident.
Common Kinds Of Cases That Result In Wrongful Death
A few of the most common kinds of situations that result in wrongful death are automobile accidents, slips and falls, workplace accidents, and medical malpractice.
When A Motor Vehicle Accident Causes Wrongful Death
Losing a loved one to a car accident is devastating. And it can be emotionally challenging to consider what you need to do next when you are so early in the mourning process. However, some people report that filing a claim helped to provide comfort because they had one less thing to worry about. A wrongful death case means that something is being done to get justice for a deceased family member.
A motor vehicle accident that causes a wrongful death can leave a family with major stress and anxiety regarding repaying medical expenses, handling funeral expenses, and losing income from a primary provider. First Law Group can help to ensure that you obtain the compensation that you are entitled to for medical expenses, lost earnings, loss of consortium, as well as pain and suffering.
Wrongful death due to an automobile accident can happen at the scene of the accident or later when the victim succumbs to their injuries. Although fatal car accidents are often caused by intoxicated motorists, distracted drivers, and speeding, practically any kind of automobile accident can cause a fatal collision. Some of the most common injuries from motor vehicle accidents that later result in wrongful death are traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and internal injuries. If your loved one dies from complications due to their injury, it still falls under the umbrella of wrongful death. Therefore, the at-fault party can still be sued for their negligence.
Wrongful Death Because Of Slip And Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are seldom considered a deadly type of accident. However, this is simply not accurate. Slips and falls can be fatal, particularly if the head strikes the ground or another hard surface.
Slips and falls can occur almost anywhere. But some of the most common places that slip and falls happen that qualify as wrongful deaths are grocery stores, commercial businesses, apartment complexes, parking lots, and places of work. The way your wrongful death claim will be pursued is different depending on where the accident occurred. For instance, claims against large commercial businesses differ in their parameters and insurance policies compared to slip and fall deaths that take place at a private residence.
Slips and falls can also be deadly when they happen to an elderly person. A slip and fall can place major strain on an older person that they might never recuperate from. When you are in the later stages of life and all of a sudden you need to be bedridden for an extended period of time, your chances of recovering fully are much slimmer. In fact, falls are the leading source of injury-related death for adults aged 65 and older. And this number seems to be increasing.
Workplace Wrongful Death
Workplace accidents that most commonly lead to fatalities include:
- Falls from heights
- Fire and explosions
- Malfunctions or errors with equipment
- Vehicle accidents
- Exposure to hazardous substances or environments
- Accidents caused by improper training
In these situations, identifying if there is any third-party liability for negligence depends on how the accident happened. If your loved one passed away because of negligent conduct of an employee from a different company, that worker or that other company can be held liable for damages. However, usually if a death or injury happens at the workplace or while the worker is "on the clock", the case would fall under workers' compensation.
Wrongful Death Because Of Medical Malpractice
Wrongful death due to medical malpractice is one of the more difficult case types in personal injury law. Considering this, you need to make sure you have an experienced attorney on your side when you're dealing with medical malpractice of any kind.
Medical malpractice that can result in a wrongful death includes:
- Early discharge from medical facility
- Wrong medication or dose
- Surgical error
- Incorrect diagnosis or overlooked diagnosis
- Birth injury
If a person you love died because of the negligence of a doctor, nurse, or healthcare facility, get in touch with one of our medical malpractice attorneys at First Law Group as soon as possible so we can begin to investigate and build your case.
Compensation In A Wrongful Death Claim
Family members may be entitled to recover for several kinds of damages and losses from a wrongful death in Fontana, including:
- The pain, suffering and grief of the surviving family members. There is not a more difficult time in life than when you lose somebody you love. The feelings and pain you may experience can be excruciating. We understand that no amount of money will make you feel whole again. Nevertheless, the family members have a right to a financial recovery for the pain of experiencing this unfortunate experience.
- Funeral expenses. Almost immediately after a tragic loss, family members have to incur substantial expense for a funeral. Part of this law firm's role will be to recover expenses because of the funeral.
- Medical bills and expenses. In a lot of wrongful death cases, the medical expenses prior to passing away can be very expensive. Commonly, billing may exceed several hundred thousand dollars. Our law firm will strive to recuperate those costs from the negligent party.
- Loss of consortium. You have a right to recuperate for the loss of no longer getting to spend and enjoy time with your loved one.
- Loss of the future earnings of the deceased. Commonly the family member that dies was earning income. Family members were depending on that loved one to support the household. They have a right to recover that loss of future income. If necessary, our law firm could retain an economist to determine what amount your family member would have earned during the rest of their life.
- Punitive damages. During a wrongful death case, lawyers will determine whether it is appropriate to ask for leave of Court to file a punitive damages count in the claim. Punitive damages are meant to penalize the responsible party for intentional and/or outrageous conduct.
Free Wrongful Death Claim Consultation
No amount of money can adequately compensate an accident victim's loved ones after a fatality caused by negligence or recklessness. However, these family members are entitled to financial relief that is offered under local and state laws. After an accident, lots of families decide to talk to a wrongful death attorney in Fontana to learn whether they have a case.
The type of accident can affect what means of recovery are provided to a family and how soon those cases need to be pursued. For these reasons, it is a good idea to get legal counsel immediately after a death.
If you think a negligent party may have caused a wrongful death of a family member in the Fontana area, Contact us for a free wrongful death claim consultation or call (626) 888-8264 to talk to a wrongful death attorney in Fontana.
At First Law Group, we really care about our community and we are driven by our passion for clients. Our personal injury lawyers in Fontana, California are always available to take your call. For a Free Consultation, call us at (626) 888-8264, or visit our website: FirstLG.com